Friday, October 16, 2009

If I had been smarter

If I had thought about it, I would have kept a log of all of my marathon training for posterity's sake, but I haven't. However, as Ive learned, and keep learning, its never too late to start anything.

For more than one reason, September, and now October, have been my hardest training months. In September I really had to figure out how to train, eat and work at the same time. Being a teacher and having summers off makes summer training pretty easy, well at least the scheduling of it. In the past on those many, many days that I would finish school and just feel completely worn out, I would leave school, head to a drive through, gorge about 1500 calories, and take a nap until it was time for dinner, gorge another 1500, then come home, watch TV and go to sleep. Granted, this is even hard to type because its so embarrassing to admit, but in addition to being horrible for me it was SO EASY! Now, even when I do get worn out or have a bad day, I still have my running to do. Luckily, running is still fun for me, and I don't see it as just another thing I HAVE to do, its something that I get to do.

NOW, that being said, running is hard. I'm a running fanatic, I think about it, do it, research it, talk about it, etc. as much as anyone I know, but its still stinking hard. Ive written before about settling down and really feeling like a runner, well I realize that feeling like a runner actually entails a good amount of redundancy. I run over and over and over. Same places, same distances, same times, etc. When I first started I was breaching huge milestones, running races, confetti was plentiful, the world was fresh. Well I haven't raced since August, so for two solid months its been train and train and train. Luckily I have my first half marathon next week, and I'm hoping it will provide a much needed boost to my running. For me at least, I realize that racing regularly will be important. I'm not trying to win anything, but getting out there in the spirit of race day has a very specific effect, and its an effect that I need to keep going.

I am still hitting distance milestones. Every week in fact. My first ten miler was about 3 weeks ago and tomorrow I will run 12. My weekend long runs are still going excitingly well, but the week days are getting harder and harder. My running partner, Anne, has developed our new Mantra, "Crappy weekday runs make for great weekend runs."

I'm already having really crazy thoughts about what to do after my marathon is over. On one hand I guess that's good because it means that I'm not even considering if I finish the marathon, but when. As hard as all of this is, I'm confident in the fact that I am being consistent and working hard. Save an injury, which could always happen, I feel like Ill be ready for January. Houston half marathon next weekend, San Antonio half marathon in Nov. and then the big one on January 17th, It will be here before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment