Saturday, July 11, 2009

Milestones etc

Its been a while since I last posted and quite a lot has happened and is happening. Today officially begins Houston Marathon training for several groups, although my particular group has already been training since May 30th. As far as my personal training goes the biggest change is that I have changed my goal race from Houston Half Marathon to the full Houston Marathon. Its still staggering for me to think of making it to the start line of a full marathon, but with some research and the guidance of a few close friends and coaches, I feel the marathon will be within my grasp. Its not now, and theres a chance I may not make it this year, but I feel like I have the drive and the desire, and at least for now Im lucky enough to be able to devote the proper amount of time needed for training. One of the best things to come from this decision has been some great conversations Ive had with Vic. Conventional wisdom states everything from "you shouldn't train for a marathon until youve been running for a year," to "It takes a year to train for a marathon," and so on, so there is no ONE set rule for it, however I know that technically I am very early in my running life and that marathon training at this stage is a bit "risky." However the good thing is, when thinking about running this marathon, its a running goal, not a 2010 goal. I know that I want to finish a marathon, but more than that, I want to run for the rest of my life, and no marathon, positively or negatively, is going to stand in the way of that for me.

Another milestone Im about to reach is with my weight loss. Im just a breath away from having lost 50 pounds. Its hard to type its so unbelievable to me. Whats even more amazing is that there hasnt been one single day since March 1st (my unnoficial change of life start date) that I have felt like I was on a diet. Through running and a desire to eat in a way that was going to supliment my running, I have had amazing success shedding the pounds. As I tell my friends, there are certain things I deny myself, but only because I know myself (more on that later) enough to know that if I eat these certain things, theres no stopping me. Ive formed great habits that will be with me for life, but I still hold in great fear the power of a basket of chips and salsa, or that plate full of garlic bread more than any boogie man. Im very aware that the more weight I lose, the harder it is going to be to keep up this weight loss, but so far I am keeping a steady pace of losing 10-12 pounds a month. As Vic keeps telling me, "ride it!" Im going to do just that for as long as I can. It will slow down at some point, I just have to make sure that I dont.

My last milestone Im about to face is a little more on the painful side. Many people already know that my sister, brother-in-law and two nephews are moving to Lubbock for my brother-in-law to attend law school. I couldnt be more proud of him or more excited for their family to be moving back to Jill and I's home town and all of the possibilities that it will bring. However, Id be lying if I didnt say my heart gets a little heavier every day that their move gets closer. Watching my two nephews (Jack 2 and a half, and James 1) be born and start to grow up has been one of the greatest joys of my life. Also having my best friend also be my family has really been a blessing as well. All of these things fill me with a sweet sadness, but none of them as much as when I think about not having my sister here with me. I feel like any words I write wont do justice to the bond we have formed over the last few years, and especially over the last two. Our bond was forged out of some great joys and great tragedies, but through them both, I have been the lucky one to have such a caring, honest and passionate friend as Jill. Ive had a sister since I was 3, but in the past couple years I've realized exactly how special that is. I love you Jill more than you could know, and as much as Im going to miss you, I know that our friendship will always be close.

I couldnt be more excited for what the rest of the summer and year have to bring, especially that first cool weather run sometime this fall.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found your blog, Will - it's good stuff and it's fun to watch as your new life unfolds. I've known about your running career, but it's so great reading about your relationship with Jill. My sister and I are also crazy close, but we didn't know we liked each other until we got older and had gone to college together. It takes time for family bonds to mature. You are fortunate to have that bond with Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Willy....you know how much I love you and how much I'm going to miss you. You also know that my children adore you and will miss you terribly. The wonderful thing about being family is that we will always be in each others' lives; the wonderful thing about being friends is that we will always WANT to be in each others' lives. I am LOVING watching you achieve your goals, and I can't wait to see you run Chevron!! You are my inspiration....I love you!!

    ReplyDelete