Sunday, May 24, 2009

Is this good or...?

See, fat people find comfort in shared misery. Me and my other two fat friends would get together and laugh jovially as we scarfed down any combinations we could find of bacon, sausage, gravy, bread,...the list goes on. But more importantly than eating all this, was sitting around talking about how great it was that we ate it. There is this shared pride in "look how fat I can be, I bet I can eat more of this fried gravy than you can!" (And yes, I literally have eaten deep fried gravy at one of these gatherings) Well, I hadn't been to one of these get togethers in some time, and certainly not since I had adopted what I don't feel I'm out of place in calling a healthy lifestyle. One of my partners in crime had also adopted healthier habits, and dropped quite a bit of weight, but for some reason all this went away last night. There is almost an unspoken reward amongst my friends for who can bring or consume the most heinous concoction of food and alcohol. My feeble attempt was bringing a 40 oz. bottle of Old English, trying to look my best fat white boy gangsta. My effort was thwarted several times over. First by a 50 inch peperoni pizza that was literally delivered in the bed of a truck, and lastly by BACON ICE CREAM. I had seen it on Iron Chef, I knew it existed, but here I was at 11:30 on a Saturday night, actually eating it. "Why are you doing this?" kept running over and over and over in my head. I was summarily flying in the face of all the good choices and healthy habits I had developed over the past couple of months, and I even knew it, but I kept going. Call it a slip up, call it peer pressure, call it whatever you want, it didn't feel good, and it doesn't feel good this morning. But... What I am taking as good from it, is the fact that feeling this bad about what I did, IS a good thing. In the past, I would wake up this morning with a smile..."I just ate bacon ice cream... how cool is that?" But not today. Ive spent my morning trying to think of ways to make up for my night, and I have NO desire to repeat last night. What this does tell me is that I do have to prepare for every situation, because if I'm given the chance to overeat and "fall off the wagon," I'm gonna do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment